Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Cows in India

Generally in India the cows are not considered holy, as I had been led to believe. Yes, they do wander the streets all over the place, in narrow lanes and on the freeways, but these belong to someone and are just foraging before returning home for the night. You might have to avoid one lying near the median on a freeway or in the shade of a tree blocking one lane of a country road. Trucks pass within inches of them, making the long ears of a Brahma flap in their wake, but the animals just trust that no one is going to hit them and drift off to sleep or meander to the next trash heap in searching for fodder.















One cow was lined up with the motorbikes. I thought it was dozing in the shade.

Not so. As I watched it made a beeline across the street and despite the protestations from the stall owner, it stole a cucumber.

















As it walked towards me I thought I could see it smile.



2 comments:

Tanya said...

Wonderful mum! I tried to play around with it and move the pictures into the correct order but couldn't figure it out. I mean, I got the pictures moved and everything looked great, but then when I saved it, it went back to how it was before.
Also, just so you know, I selected the "theme" for you blog, just real quickly, they have lots of other looks, so if you don't like the green dots I will someday talk you through changing it. :)

kathleen said...

Great adventures -- good material for your next book? LOVED the photos. The smiling cow photo shows a very smug thief. Btw, where is Brindle on these jaunts?